SSM Health Sr Tech-Pharmacy in Saint Louis, Missouri
A senior Pharmacy Technician prepares intravenous admixtures, parenteral nutrition solutions, cancer chemotherapy medications, enters medication orders and maintains patient profiles, and assists the pharmacist in clinical duties, medication dispensing and order filling.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA (% of Time)
Essential Functions: The following are essential job accountabilities and performance criteria:
1) Follows department policy and procedure for preparing and dispensing pharmaceuticals under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist. (1, 2, 3, 5) 20%
Fills unit dose bins, mixes intravenous solutions, properly labels and dispenses unit dose and bulk medications; fills floor stock orders, packages items in unit-of-use and replenishes Pyxis Medstation stock as required.
2) Follows department policy and procedure for preparing and dispensing oncology chemotherapy, total parenteral nutrition (TPN) solutions, investigational drugs, and controlled substances under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist. (1, 2, 3, 5) 20%
Mixes Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) solutions, oncology chemotherapy, and investigational drugs; dispenses controlled substances as required.
3) Develops and maintains pharmacy information system order entry and report generation skills. Reviews medication inventory, places vendor orders, receives medications, and processes paperwork. (1, 3, 5) 20%
Proficient in all aspects of unit dose, bulk medication, intravenous admixture, controlled substance, TPN and outpatient medication order entry and report generation. Meets department-developed criteria for work volume and accuracy.
4) Delivers, picks up and debits/credits pharmacy items from nursing areas. (5) 10%
Exchanges unit dose bins and batch prepared intravenous admixtures, delivers and picks up unit dose, intravenous admixture and TPN solutions. Debits/credits patient accounts as defined by department policy and procedure.
5) Completes required paperwork for area. (2, 5) 10%
Completes all Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement monitoring data sheets. Completes all controlled substance records.
6) Safety/Infection Control: Practices according to safety and infection control policies. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 5%
A) Practices universal precautions and disposes of hazardous wastes per established guidelines.
B) Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients/families/employees in accordance with hospital standards.
Maintains clutter free environment.
Keeps conversations and background noise to a minimum
Adheres to dress code.
C) Reports risk management concerns.
D) Assumes responsibility for completing all annual mandatory requirements:
Blood Borne Pathogen
Age Appropriate Care (for clinical staff only)
7) Service: Provides service excellence to the customers of Saint Louis University Hospital by delivering timely, high quality care in a courteous, and respectful manner. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 4%
A) Focused on monitoring a high level of customer satisfaction.
B) Be courteous and respectful to all.
C) Demonstrate ability to relate to coworkers in a professional and respectful manner, in order to assure and promote a culture of safety.
8) Quality Improvement (QI): Incorporates Quality Assessment into one’s daily work. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 5%
9) Age Appropriate Care: Provides age-appropriate care to: <1%
_Infant _Child Adolescent _Adult Geriatric
A) Provides a safe environment by following age appropriate safety measures.
B) Communicates effectively by following age appropriate techniques.
C) Involves family or significant other in decision making related to services provided.
D) Demonstrates ability to provide service needed for the age groups routinely served by the department assigned.
DISCLAIMER: Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Rationale for Essential Functions
1) The performance of this function is the reason the job exists.
2) There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
3) This function occupies a great deal of the employee’s time.
4) This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this function.
5) Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
6) The function was performed by past employees, and is performed by current employees.
7) Exposure to blood borne pathogens that require the use of protective equipment
8) Exposure to tuberculosis that requires the use of protective equipment
MINIMUM EDUCATION: A high school diploma, successful completion of a technician training course and demonstrated math and computer skills.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Two years of relevant pharmacy technician or experience is preferred.
REQUIRED LICENSE: Current Pharmacy Technician Certification (CPhT) by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). Missouri Pharmacy Technician Registration.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The job of Senior Pharmacy Technician requires processing work at a rapid pace, with frequent deadlines within and outside of the department.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Long periods of sitting, standing, stooping, bending, and walking are required with ability to safely lift up to 45 lbs. And push or pull up to 90 lbs.
Equipment: Epic Information System and associated printers, personal computer, facsimile machine and copier, laminar flow hood/clean bench, vertical flow clean bench, IV pumps, epidural analgesia pumps, Pyxis medstations, Multitask TPN software, Automix/Micromix.
Department Director __________Date___
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. An individual working in their job classification must also perform specific tasks upon request by supervisor personnel. Furthermore, the duties and responsibilities for this job classification are subject to change at the discretion of the medical center.
SSM Health is committed to equal employment opportunity based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, and all other statuses protected by law.
- SSM Health Jobs